Walking down the memory lane,

thinking of all the beautiful moments,

that I know will never return.

Yet something about these memories makes me happy.

Three years ago, I visited a place. A place worth more than a home to me. My beautiful country, Pakistan.

I remember getting on the plane for the fourth time in my life but as always, it felt like the first. I could feel the excitement running through my veins and I couldn’t have been happier.

I remember my favorite moment from my entire two-month vacation, Eid, which marked the end of the fasting month, Ramadan. I spent these three days with the people who treated me as their own daughter, my mom’s side of the family.

I remember the first day; the beautiful outside experience. My uncle, along with my cousins and my family, including me, took us on a long drive to a river. Since it was Eid, many people were out with their families and the entire place was pretty crowded. There was no available space to park, so we didn’t really get a chance to get out of the car to experience the outside beauty. But what really stunned me was the view; this place was so simple yet so beautiful. There was a long bridge, with water flowing smoothly underneath, and it was surrounded by some trees. This was not like those pretty rivers in Canada, it was different; nevertheless, breathtaking. Near the shallow ends, adults were sitting, with their feet placed in the water, looking so calm and relaxed. Young children were laughing and running around, living their life to the fullest. I opened the window of the car and I breathed in the air. I could sense the smell of the air sinking into my soul and for the first time in the longest time, my heart was at peace.

Image result for lake tumblr

I remember the second day; my mind clouded with some memories I don’t remember as clear. The actual adventure of this day had begun at night. My cousin took us, my siblings along with six of my other cousins, on a long drive. It was shorter than the one to the river; the most amazing part was that it was around 9:30pm – the sun had set a while back and it was pitch black outside. Whether it is road trips or plane rides, I love traveling at nighttime. Everything looked so beautiful and only the lights of the city were visible. The stop of this small adventure was at one of the best restaurants in the city. My cousin ordered the best food and we ate until there was no more room for anything, not even dessert.  Someone had truly said that time flies when you’re having fun and its true, I was back home in seconds.

Related image

I remember the third day; my least favorite out of all three days. I knew after this day, it was time to head back to my dad’s city. Not that I don’t love my dad’s side of the family. I do because I have been taught to love everyone no matter what the circumstances are. But after two whole days of pure happiness, I was just not ready to accept the fact that this part of my journey was over. I enjoyed every moment of this day, from dawn to dusk. The night was my most favorite part about this day; my sister and I along with another cousin of mine pulled an all-nighter. It was my last night here and I wanted to make the most out of it. Even though it meant: lying in bed under the covers with the air-conditioning turned on, silently whispering, sharing moments from the past, and dreaming about the future.

These moments,

how I wish I could relive them,

to feel everything all over again.

But it’s impossible to turn back in time.

Image

8 thoughts on “Memory of the Past”

1. Dear Malaika,
    I love your piece so much. It is so beautifully written and it gives such depth into your life and your experiences. I also really love the little stanza’s you used at the beginning and end to open and close your piece. All I can say is just work on and fix a few GUMPS in your piece, but other than that, I think it is a very well written piece.
    Love,
    Katerina.

1. Thank you Katerina.
      I will try to improve on the GUMPS in my next piece. But thank you so much for the appreciation and the kind words.

2. Dear Malaika;
    I love your introduction lines and conclusion lines. They add such a level of beauty and overall simplicity to this piece. You have such an amazing structure behind your writing through the small paragraphs that make your writing powerful and simple at the same time that I really appreciate.
    I really don’t have any negative feedback, you have fantastic sentence structure in your writing.
    Keep up the amazing work, I look forward to reading the rest of your fantastic writing through the rest of the semester. Love Tiana

1. Thank you for your kind words Tiana! I am glad you liked my opening and closing statements and I am glad you found my work amazing.

3. Dear Malaika,
    I already knew this story, since you have told me about it. What’s even more fascinating about it is that you put your memories down and turned them into a very creative piece. You gave me flashbacks from when I flew to Canada for the first time and how I miss my cousins and family members back in Nepal. Thank you for taking me back to my memory lane, I so badly want to visit Nepal now. The way you write gives me goose-bumps since I feel like I am one of the characters while reading this. You have this special ability to capture people into your work and make everyone relate to your writing. Keep doing what you do best.

Love,
    Shiksha T.

1. Thank you Shiksha. Honestly, you were the one who motivated me to write about this experience and even though it didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, thank you for appreciating it. It means a lot!

4. Dear Malaika,

I really like your writing, especially when you provide the reader with a relatable level of depth into your life and experiences. Your stanza’s and writing style give the piece such structure and clarity that it touches base with us.

One thing I would suggest working on is adding visuals to your piece to allow the viewer to understand you better.

Other then that, it was an amazingly written piece. Good Job!

Simran

1. Thank you for commenting on my piece Simran. And I am glad you like my writing! Thank you for the feedback!
      I added a few visuals not only to allow others to understand me better but to make my piece look a bit more creative. I hope you like it!